Monday, May 24, 2010

Guest Post: Keep It FUN

*Today we have Stacey aka Born to be Mrs. Beever from Thoughts of the All Consumed Bride. She is, in a word, awesome. Please check out her blog (she's recently married and in the process of recapping her gorgeous wedding!)

I am thrilled to be able to write a guest post for Em over here this week while she is basking in the glory of her new love and marriage!  What a joy I know it will be for her and I am so excited to see the amazing photos and beauty that will exude from her on her wedding day!

Today, I'd love to share with you a little quote I found from Katherine Hepburn:

I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun.

In life, as in love, you need to always have a little fun.  After all, what is the point of being in a relationship if there is not a good deal of laughter and enjoyment from the day to day routine activities?  Especially once you're married.  I have found that in the 2 1/2 weeks that Mr Fix It and I have been settling in to married life in the same home as husband and wife, it is difficult to not fall into a boring, mundane routine with little or no excitement.  And that's where Mr Fix It's personality comes in to the rescue!

Mr Fix It was definitely a little rambunxious as a child, but today, he's a big kid almost every day.  Don't get me wrong, he works...and hard.  His job is physically and mentally demanding.  And he's pretty tired after a long day at work.  So when it's time to run errands, he has to find ways to interject some fun.

For example, when we went shopping for my nephew, PJ's 1st b-day gift at Toys R Us, he found a big bin of bouncing balls in the middle of an aisle.  He grabbed one and said "I'll give you a 3 second hard start for dodge ball!"  When I looked at him and told him to knock it off and be an adult and put the ball down, he just reiterated that I was only being given 3 seconds.  When another customer came around the corner, I assumed he would put the ball down and act his age, but when I turned over my shoulder to look at him, I knew I better run!  And there we were, causing havoc in Toys R Us.

And that is one of the reasons I married him just last month...because no man has ever been able to do silly things like that and learn to just have fun in the silliest of ways.  It's really there within all of us, that element of fun.  We just need to learn not to stifle it and to let it come out and play once in a while.  I'll admit, that I don't typically lean that way in my day to day activities, but being around Mr Fix It, I've learned to play some jokes, make funny faces or even pull off some fun wrestling matches sometimes at unexpected times.

I believe laughter and fun are an essential part of any relationship...not just with children, but with spouses as well.  And today, as I congratulate Em and her new hubby on their recent marriage, I also wish them a lifetime of fun filled days and lots of laughter.  I am sure we will see those beautiful smiles full of joy and fun in the photos and recaps that I for one am so excited to follow very soon!

3 comments:

  1. I just read a book that said how important keeping things fresh, new and fun is to a marriage!! Great Post!! So excited to cross to the "other side" with you married ladies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote and your post! I think it’s wonderful that Mr. Fix-It brings out in you a side that you might not otherwise express in your everyday life, and that his playfulness always helps keep things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cracking up with the image of you two in toys r us. Love it.

    ReplyDelete