Saturday, November 7, 2009

Kaboom! Crash! Splat!


Hear that? It's the sound of my head exploding while I have a mini nervous breakdown and throw myself off a cliff. Why the dramatics?

I just set a date for Josh's parents to meet my dad.

Dun dun DUUNNNNN

"Hold on a sec, Em," you may be asking. "Haven't you and Josh been together for almost 4 years?" Yes, yes we have. Josh has met my dad and his parents have met my mom, but I've been putting off this particular meeting for a long, long time. And I'm seriously, ridiculously really really nervous. For real.

My dad and I get along fine. We're actually pretty similar and I know I get my outgoing personality (along with my long limbs) from him. But our relationship has always been less-than-ideal. You see, my dad has a lot of children. I have 2 half sisters and 4 half brothers. The custody agreement between him and my mom stated that I had to see him two times a week, Wednesdays and Sundays. With so little time to see him and so many other children (and activities of said children) to manage, our relationship never really took off the ground. I struggle with who is to blame for this, but is it really a 10-year-old's responsibility to try to foster a relationship with her father? Therapy someday might give me an answer.

Anyway, I could write much much MUCH more on my relationship with my dad, and maybe I will in a future post, but that is our relationship in a (very small) nutshell. The point of this rambling is that I'm really nervous and I can't figure out exactly why. Part of it stems from the fact that I haven't exactly painted my father in the most positive light when describing him to Josh's parents. My dad has made some very poor life choices and hurt me more times than I'd like to count. I'm not one to hold in my emotions and I consider myself an open book, so yes, I've called him every name in the book while retelling certain stories about him. That's bad, I know. Hopefully they go into this with open minds and open hearts. I'll just be happy to get this over with.

I'll give you a full report next week. That is, if my head doesn't actually explode, first.

How did things go when your parents met the future in-laws? Also, any words of encouragement? I really need them...

Ps, I'm starting this new thing where I bold certain sentences in my posts. Some of my favorite bloggers do it so I figured I'd give it a shot!

1 comment:

  1. That's tough Em! Josh loves you, and his parents love you, so they're going to go into the meeting with your trying to make things go as smoothly as possible. Hang in there, I'm sure it'll go much better than you expect!

    ReplyDelete