Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dating Ourselves

One of my favorite "wasting time" websites is My Parents Were Awesome. Readers submit photos of their parents' younger days for our viewing pleasure. I love seeing vintage photos of parents before they were *parents*. One of their recent entries was a great photo of a bride and groom on their wedding day.

Those shoes! That tux! THOSE CHOPS!! I mean really, how amazingly retro does this couple look? Hopefully they look back on these photos and think the happiest of thoughts and not "What were we thinking?"

Like it or not all of our wedding pictures are going to look "dated" at some point. No matter how "classic" we try to make our wedding, a generation from now it's going to be viewed as what was trendy "back then." And you know what? I'm totally fine with that. I hope I can look back on my wedding photos in 10, 20, 50 years with zero regrets. The choices I'm making for my wedding are what is right for me right now, not what is right for me 20 years from now. When I show my wedding photos to my (future, hypothetical) kids, I'm sure they'll laugh and say "Oh, Mom...strapless mermaid? Really?" Yes, really, and back in "my day" it was awesome.

Are you worried about your wedding photos looking dated?

No comments:

Post a Comment